What is Automated Storage & Retrieval System (ASRS)?
Automated Storage & Retrieval System (ASRS)
Automated Storage and Retrieval Systems (ASRS) offer incredible pick & put cycle times along with more accurate inventory management. A basic ASRS system is comprised of one or more aisles, each having a robotic crane to retrieve from & store product in the racks on either side of the aisle. The use of a robotic crane allows racks to be built several storey’s high over almost any length, providing more storage density than almost any other storage solution.
The cranes also bring materials to operator which virtually eliminates wait, walk & cycle times. ASRS systems can also handle a variety of materials from small bins of parts up to entire pallets of materials with fast cycle times & high precision.
Advantages of ASRS
- Storage of large volumes of material into a controlled system while maintaining accurate inventory details and preserving direct access to all items received and doing this with minimal labour involvement.
- Direct traceability and accounting of location and quantity of material in the system.
- Re-sequence released inventory to the next process once validation has been made that all material needed is under system control.
- Accurate, real time information about the inventory on hand allowing achievable commitments to be made to your customer as opposed to best efforts promises”.
- Operation without interruptions, distractions, break, vacations or shift premiums. Gentler handling of the inventory with less product damage from transit, misstating or collisions.
- Elimination of periodic physical inventory procedures. Reduction of inventory through the elimination of safety stocks that often creep into manual systems.
- Worker productivity is increased by the elimination of non-value adding material handling tasks from their work scope.