The Pallet Shuttle (WAP Radio Shuttle Storage) is a high-density compact storage solution that uses powered shuttles to automatically carry loads into the rack. The pallet shuttles are remotely controlled by an operator. Hence, there is an optimum use of storage space and workplace accident rates are also reduced.
The use of automated Radio shuttle carts in place of forklifts during the storage process not only reduces the risk of accidents, but also the maintenance costs resulting from damage of the rack.
This system can work either as FIFO or as LIFO, even in freezer chambers, with temperatures of up to -30°C.
This pallet shuttle system reinforces logistical capacity qualitatively and quantitatively, since it automates the handling of goods on pallets; it is also possible to control the inventory through a system of sensors which count the stored pallets.
How does Pallet Shuttle Racking work?
The Pallet Shuttle is a compact semi-automated pallet storage solution using self-powered shuttle carts which operate independently to move the pallets in the rack.
Designed for high-turnover storage, this solution enables automatically loading and retrieving pallets continuously by using a remote controlled system.
Unit loads are either placed on the first available location until the rack is fully loaded, or retrieved from their storage locations and moved to the front ready to be picked by a forklift truck, until the rack is fully unloaded.
WAP Radio Shuttle cart is positioned in the lane required with a fark lift truck. The pallets are stocked one by one by the fark lift truck at the beginning of the lane.
The pallet shuttle lifts up the platform and moves it along the channel until it reaches the first free position, where it puts the pallets. Then, it comes back to the beginning of the lane ready for the next drive cycle.
The Pallet Shuttle system enables warehouse operation through both FIFO and LIFO management, with the latter being more common due to only using one of the ends of the aisle for loading and unloading pallets.
For FIFO operation in the Pallet Shuttle system, forklift access must be enabled at the end of the level, therefore allowing access to the unit load located at the back. This will make it possible to complete the FIFO stock management cycle, and the first pallet to enter the structure will be the first one out.
Before putting the last pallets into the lane, WAP Radio Shuttle Cart must be removed and put in a new lane.
Advantages of the semiautomatic Pallet Shuttle system:
The main advantages of the WAP Pallet Shuttle system are its racking compaction capacity and the increase in productivity and safety in the warehouse.
- The Pallet Shuttle system enables you to maximize floor space and height available by minimizing the operating aisles needed for trucks.
- The WAP Radio Shuttle system allows for automatic control of inventory by using sensors to count the number of pallets stored.
- Remote control and bar codes help better control the stock, drastically decreasing error margins.
- Since forklift operators do not have to enter the aisles, maximum safety is guaranteed when handling pallets, avoiding collisions in the rack structure. This reduces maintenance costs as well as the number of issues from handling loads.
- With the pallet shuttle system, stored pallets can be loaded and unloaded as FIFO or LIFO, even in freezing chambers up to -30ºC.
- Optimization of space FIFO / LIFO
- Enables a continuous handling flow, speeding up operations in the warehouse.
- Constant handling flow
- Powered by a rechargeable lithium battery
- Highly safe operation at low maintenance cost
- RF controlled
- Flexible storage for different types of pallets
Main applications of Pallet Shuttle Racking
Semi-automated Pallet Shuttle Racking is a system that optimises space and productivity in the warehouse.
Its main applications are therefore:
- Warehouses with high loading and unloading activity, and which therefore require high warehouse productivity.
- Warehouses with a reduced number of product references, but a high volume of pallets.
- Warehouses with seasonal merchandise, which require fast and flexible operations in specific time periods.
- Warehouses with cold rooms or freezing chambers, due to the maximum compaction of the space this allows, together with the time saving for the loading and unloading of pallets.
- Due to its dual FIFO and LIFO management capacity, it can be suitable for warehouses with both perishable and non-perishable products, depending on the chosen configuration.